Paris of the Past
Following the historical account of the Knights Templar, it was here on the French soil of Marais, much of their story was played out.
In 1137, King Louis VII of France gave the “Order of the Knights Templar” a house, in the swamp marshland area, in the northern parts of Paris, just outside the city walls.
Large stretches of marshland, remnants of the ancient branch of the River Seine, which once flowed down from Belleville, east of Paris.
Enclos du Temple
In less than a century, these hardy knights had dried out the marshlands, and moved to its north-eastern edge, upon which they built, the “Enclos du Temple,” a fortified compound, consisting of crenellated walls, buttresses, watch towers and a drawbridge. To accompany the tower, a gothic styled round chapel was built in stages, granted by a papal bull of Pope Honorius in 1217. The church…
View original post 994 more words